To facilitate transdisciplinary research in the prevention and treatment of obesity and related chronic diseases. Our research spans from the cellular to social-ecological, promotes health equity, and leads to improved quality of life across the lifespan.
Goals & Objectives
- To advance knowledge and evidence-based practice in health-related fields by conducting cutting edge, transdisciplinary research.
- Offer resources to support faculty and student research endeavors, including infrastructure to support grant submissions, publications, graphics, measurement tools, data management, dissemination, administrative tasks and state-of-the art equipment.
- Provide faculty assigned time and seed funding opportunities to support pilot studies and research-related endeavors.
- Share our scientific findings with the local, national, and international communities.
- Hold university and community forums to share our work, learn collaboratively and develop new avenues of inquiry.
- To prepare our next generation of leaders in health-related research
- Offer junior faculty and graduate and undergraduate students training and fellowships in human subjects research
- Establish informal and formal venues for student and faculty research sharing.
- Foster evidence-based decision-making by connecting the community to peer-reviewed research on prevention and treatment of health problems
Innovative & Sustainable Solutions
We think and act creatively towards sustainable solutions to our nation’s health problems, addressing the multifactorial causes of poor health from neurons to neighborhoods.
Quality & Excellence
We follow standardized and consistent best practices in research methods, study conduct, data integrity, and the design of ethical protocols for all human subjects.
We promote a positive and motivational work environment that fosters teamwork, mutual respect, integrity, responsiveness and concern for each project, with creative interaction at the interface between areas of science. We engage with the community to inspire our research, programs and student leadership opportunities.
Respect & Compassion
We support a climate of mutual respect and compassion.
Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We envision a world where every individual has an equal opportunity in health. We identify and work to overcome disparities that prevent people from achieving sustained optimal health and well-being.
"Center for Health Research is a growing, dynamic program, and an excellent example of our Learn by Doing approach. Our faculty work closely with our students to provide rich opportunities to test their knowledge on real-world challenges. As a result, Center for Health Research students are acquiring skills that will distinguish them when they enter the workforce."
— Cal Poly President Jeffrey D. Armstrong